Continuing on from: https://rinacca.wordpress.com/2016/07/07/day-179-work-hard-make-it-your-ambition-to-work-with-your-own-hands/
Chapter title: Give to God what belongs to Him
- Yahweh God knows His place pf authority and since He is in authority, He knows how to demand respect from us creatures.
- Matthew 22:21
- Give to God what belongs to God.
- People can be prosperous by giving to the government (in the form of taxes) and to God (basically we can give God anything but we can’t outgive Him.)
- The two great authorities in life we need to obey: authority of Lord Jesus Christ and authority of the government.
- We give to God through tithes. The 10% of what we have (whether gross or net).
- Hebrews 7:4
- 1Samuel 8:10-18
- Genesis 28:22
- Types of tithes: firstfruits, firstlings, fiesta tithe, crops tithes, temple tax
- Proverbs 3:9
- Exodus 13:12,13
- Deuteronomy 14:22-23
- Deuteronomy 14:24-26
- Malachi 3:10
- God’s law is not optional. God said it therefore God mean it. It’s not a suggestion on our part that it’s alright if we don’t follow because God is a God of justice.
- Numbers 18:21
- Declaration of honesty in giving tithes
- Deuteronomy 26:13-15
- Aside from tithes, there is another thing we give to God in the form of offering.
- Offering back in the Old Testament is a way to cover people’s sins. But now Lord Jesus Christ made that offering, we do benevolence offerings as an act of saying “thank you” to our Savior.
- Different types of (Old Testament) offerings: sin offering, guilt offering, peace offering, food offering, drink offering, heave or wave offering
- Exodus 29:10
- God loves a cheerful giver
- 2 Corinthians 9:7
- A cheerful giver is a ready giver without grudge, without regret but happy.
- The Lord does not count what you put in the box. Instead, the Lord counts what is left in your pocket after you have put offerings in the box.
- The sincerity of our hearts is what God sees.
- We give to God not because God needs it but in order for God to bless us even more!
- We should tithe even out of our own needs.
- Cheerful giving is one of the greatest joys of spirituality.
- Galatians 6:7
- A man reaps what he sows. If you are generous in giving, you’ll receive generous harvest.
- 2 Corinthians 9:6
- Malachi 3:8-12
- The obedient giver is blessed with abundance and with protection.
- Blessings come in many forms more than just cold cash.
- The giver is blessed beyond his needs into abundance for good work.
- Luke 6:38
- The Lord hates dishonest scales
- A good measure-siksik-walang daya
- Pressed down-liglig
- Umaapaw (or overflowing)
- There is a curse on a nation that does not tithe
Striking verse for me:
2 Corinthians 9:6
But this I say, he which sow sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which sow bountifully shall reap also bountifully.
Wrong mindsets the author pointed out:
- Marrying a pastor is equivalent to poverty or austere lifestyle.
- Your charitable acts are not tithes! So don’t say there are tithes. It’s a tithe if you give it directly to the Church and let the Church decide what to do with the tithe you gave them.
- Oftentimes we give worn out, little denomination bills to Church in the form of tithes and offerings. And yet, we use our crisp new bills on shopping.
- You as a parent should know your authority and how to assert it to your children. If your children won’t follow, don’t say it’s alright.
“Give to God what belongs to Him. The secret of having is in giving.”-Ed Lapiz